The current St. Mark’s is an amalgamation of St. Mark’s Anglican Church and Holy Cross Lutheran Church and is located at 307 Third Street, Midland, Ontario.
St. Mark’s Anglican Church
St. Mark’s Anglican Church was built in 1883 by the Rev. William Jupp and his sister, but was not used regularly until 1885. It was on March 15, 1887, when Rev. Jupp conveyed his Third Street church and property to the Diocese of Toronto. The lot where the Rectory sits was owned by Baron Von Hugel, president of the Midland Land Company. Baron von Hugel sold the lot in 1881 to the Synod of the Diocese of Toronto for the nominal sum of one dollar. He intended that the lot be used for the site of a Rectory when one became necessary. The Rectory was built in 1917.
Holy Cross Evangelical Lutheran Church
Holy Cross Evangelical Lutheran Church started with meetings in a home in 1967 and continued to meet at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Barrie and then at St. Mark’s Anglican Church, Midland until it was established as an organized congregation in 1982. In 1988 the Holy Cross Church building on Yonge Street, Midland, was dedicated. Worship and church life continued in that setting until 2012.
We believe that it was the Holy Spirit working in our two congregations that led us to form
St. Mark’s Anglican Lutheran Church as we know it today. We are a warm, caring, inclusive church under Canon 29 of the Anglican Church.
An Agreement and set of Bylaws has been put in place our parish. We are glad to now live to serve together.